Thursday, September 18, 2014
Wit, wisdom, pseudonietzscheanistic aphorisms, and bad jokes.
* When the word "Dead" in "deadline" actually is real, it's amazing indeed how productive it can be. If it weren't for the last minute nothing would ever get done!
* I've been killed by dragons at least three times. Eaten by a xorn once. Twice taken out by the eye of the Beholder. And zapped by a god-powered lich in my last adventure. Yep. Bad things happen to D&D characters.
* It sez here that "ABC Apologizes for Story That Connected Mozilla CEO to Hateful Westboro Baptist Church" (newsbusters.org). "We apologize that more people didn't see it."
* So having parents who are heterosexual is a sign of 'privilege'? I thought it was a universal biological necessity. All of the human race's parents are heterosexual. QED and thus endeth the lesson.
* It sez here: Taliban Suicide Bomber Turns on His Own Commanders, Kills 15 (tolonews.com) Incompetence or malice? Either way, problem solved. "Most problems in this world can be solved with enough plastic explosive." - Albrecht Ritter Mertz von Quirnheim, who built the July 20 bomb (died July 21, 1944).
Or to quote the cartoon: "Now pay attention, I'm only going to demonstrate this ONCE."
* On target: Wilshire Gun Range gets liquor license approval (okcfox.com)
Add tobacco and explosives and your journey to the ATF will be complete!
* Boise State Professor: 'When May I Shoot a Student?' (breitbart.com) You shoot a student who is shooting or raping (an)other student(s).
* Harvard Writer: Free Speech Threatens Liberalism and Must Be Destroyed (dailycaller.com) You may think that this is just some mindless teenaged feminazi blovating via her keyboard. But it is in fact extremely dangerous. Why? Because she's going to be very high up very quickly.
Example: there was a book I read as I prepared for law school. It was called "One L" and it was about a freshman year at Harvard Law in 1977. One of the leading radicals of that freshman class called for a complete reorganization of the law school along Leftist lines. She later became head of the Dukakis presidential campaign in 1988 and is now a leading pundit. Susan Estrich.
Lefty lunatic freshmen become lefty lunatic leaders, if they come from Hahvahd. Watch this person.
* Term limits? Two words: Winston Churchill. 40 years in Parliament and you know the rest.
* The Terms of Our Surrender (nytimes.com) Some thought it paranoid.... Vae Victis! Woe to the Vanquished!
* No American flags? On Cinco de Mayo in a majority Hispanic high school? The 9th Circuit said that that ruling is OK. Keep in mind that this is in the specific context of a high school. High school principals and teachers have censorship powers unlike anyone else's, largely because they have to deal with the reality that sixteen year old boys are often thugs (and sixteen year old girls are completely insane). But. This is called 'the heckler's veto' and it is an old story in First Amendment law. It dies every time it goes to the Supremes. So it will here.
* It sez here: Mother Who Confessed To Poisoning Baby Said She Wanted To End His Sufering: Police (www.huffingtonpost.com) "Mercy killing" is NEVER about relieving the suffering of the victim--it is (always!) about relieving the suffering of the killer who doesn't want to deal with the consequences of caring for the victim.
And yes, this very much includes insurance companies.
Posted by (c)2014 Richard L. Kent, Esq. (MichiganSilverback at gmail dot com) at 12:00 AM